Meeting Times at 4th United Presbyterian Church

Cafe' Worship: 9:15 a.m. each Sunday in Gathering Hall (activities provided for children; coffee; snacks)
Adult Sunday School: 10 a.m.

Sunday Worship: 11 a.m.


Bible Study: each Thursday at 6 p.m.


Community Forum: last Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. with meal (no community forum in November, 2011)


About the 4th United Presbyterian Bible Blog

Posts on this blog are from me, Rev. George H. Waters, one of the two organizing co-pastors of 4th United Presbyterian Church. Our other organizing pastor was Rev. Sonya McAuley-Allen, who is now pastor of a church in Charlotte, N.C. Since June of 2011, Rev. Elizabeth Peterson has been our parish associate pastor for new church development. The earliest posts are sermon notes from the few I have typed the last two years. Then, there is a series of notes posted on the book of Romans. After that, it varies from week to week, sometimes church news, sometimes reflections on a happening, a passage of scripture, or even some pictures. This blog is meant to open the conversation we have going on in our church to others in our community.



The picture below is of our church's sanctuary, built in 1913.





Monday, August 22, 2011

Finding a Harbor for My Soul: Thoughts after the sermon on August 21

Sometimes a sermon ends and the preacher is left thinking: "I just wasn't able to finish that - I started in a direction, but I just didn't have the clarity to get to where I was going."

And, that's what I felt after yesterday's sermon. It was one of those where I said what I had to say and was willing to sit down and hope those who heard could take the sermon where it needed to go for them. Better, I was hopeful that the Spirit of the Living God could use a relatively meager offering from me to bless those gathered.

As I move into the Monday work world, I take with me one thought from the thinking I was going through in that sermon yesterday about finding "harbors" for our souls in daily life. I think a real key is to have eyes for the good, to be able to find the good, the peaceful, the joyful, the funny in daily life. I will be gathering up my files and going to court today for 16 clients. I will be talking with prosecutors, officers, probation officers, inmates, other defendants who are out of jail, their families, court officers, my fellow public defender's office staff, and maybe a church member or two by phone or my fellow pastor throughout this day. I'll probably talk with my wife a couple of times, maybe my mother once as well.

It occurs to me that I will be interacting with a lot of people today. And, with each interaction, with God's grace, I might be able to provide a little harbor for others if I treat them with respect and kindness. Maybe part of that sermon yesterday should have been more about becoming a harbor for other people's souls and less about finding a harbor for our own souls? That would have been more in line with Jesus' way.

No comments:

Post a Comment